Tired of the never-ending Thanksgiving leftovers in the fridge?
Before you toss them out, check out these 5 great tips from Georgie’s Custom Catering; devised to inspire food creativity and help minimize food waste.
1) Compost those Thanksgiving leftovers! Composting leftover veggies is a great way to cut down on food waste and be more environmentally friendly. Vegetable scraps and coffee grounds or tea bags from your Thanksgiving meal can be tossed in a compost bin, but be sure that you avoid anything with meat, bones, or anything with cheese, grease, or oils.
2) Freeze extra vegetables and meat for future recipes. Did you chop up too many carrots? Have a bunch of green beans that never made it into the casserole? Blanch your raw veggies before freezing them to use in another recipe in the future. Leftover turkey meat can be pulled from the bones and frozen to have on hand for a quick addition to soups, casseroles, or salads.
3) Pop that turkey carcass in a pot with some water to make a flavorful stock. Add some celery, onion, or herbs to the mix and let the pot simmer for a few hours and you’ll have a base to a delicious soup (to which you can add those leftover veggies or meat scraps from tip #2. Broth can also be frozen and used when you want a quick, nutritious and homemade soup in a snap. You save money by using every bit of the bird. You won’t have to buy broth at the store for your next pot of soup!
4) Try a Thanksgiving leftover lasagna, casserole, breakfast bakes, or pasta recipe to freeze for later use during busy times. It’s always great to have a quick frozen meal at hand, and you might not be tempted to spend money on an emergency take-out night if there’s something comforting and nourishing in your own freezer already.
5) Donate & share your leftovers. Minimize food waste and do some good by using your leftovers to freeze and pack up meals you can share with local homeless shelters, women’s shelters, nursing home residents, or children’s homes.
Thanksgiving leftovers don’t have to be stressful, and you don’t have to go to the extreme of just throwing them away when you take just a little time to plan for the aftermath. Happy Season of Thanksgiving Leftovers to you and yours, from Georgie’s!
For more creative menu ideas, give Georgie’s Custom Catering a call. * 218-522-0492 *